Cascais, the charm of the Atlantic coast
Cascais and its spectacular coastline are a must-see destination for any visitor to Portugal.
Flanked on two sides by the Atlantic Ocean, the region is located just 25 km from Lisbon and its international airport, stretching west in a rectangle from Carcavelos to Guincho Beach. Nearby stands the imposing Cabo da Roca, mainland Europe’s most westerly point. With its mild year-round climate, the Portuguese Riviera (as the region is known) offers a surprising variety of landscapes and attractions, combining a wide range of possibilities in one very unique destination. From pure leisure to business, golf, sun, sea and water sports, Cascais simply has it all and offers a new definition of the concepts of eco- and activity-based tourism.
Ten reasons to visit Cascais in 2017
- The truth is that wherever you want to go, you’ll get there quickly in Cascais – whether it’s the beach or the countryside, a rustic village or a cosmopolitan town centre
- There’s a wide selection of hotels, restaurants, bars and attractions available – most notably Estoril Casino, the largest in Europe, with its busy program of concerts and cultural activities.
- The region offers a perfect mix of relaxation, sport and opportunities for business meetings with an added bonus: the famous Portuguese hospitality.
- While celebrating more than 650 years as town, Cascais has positioned itself as a leader of modern tourism, having pioneered the development of a responsible and ecologically sustainable model, in keeping with the growing awareness of companies and institutions.
- The region is also popular for its excellent natural conditions and facilities for all types of sport, from the most extreme such as paragliding, rock climbing, mountain biking, surfing and kite-surfing, to the more traditional kind of sport like horse-riding, polo, tennis, all kinds of sailing and motorized water sports. All together with a mild weather and more than 300 days of sun throughout the year.
- It is rare to find, anywhere in the world, a natural park so close to a capital city. The Sintra Cascais Natural Park has managed to preserve everything in this western most part of Continental Europe.
- The region has 7 golf courses considered among the very best in Europe, all set in prime locations with the most modern facilities and infra-structure.
- Cascais has it all for the lovers of luxury and designer style. The 5 star Grand Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa or the 5 star The Oitavos Hotel (combines ultra modern design with an untouched natural location within the the Sintra-Cascais Natural Park), among many others are the perfect choice for a romantic retreat inspired by the timeless beauty of the Atlantic coast.
- Beauty lovers will be enchanted by Sintra’s romantic Palaces. Exuberant gardens, Exotic appearances together with the combination of different styles give these palaces a unique sense of history that led to the classification of Sintra as World Heritage Site by Unesco.
- It’s true to say that the region’s main strengths lie, fundamentally, in the rich combination of its natural characteristics, high-quality facilities, cultural diversity and professional services. There are many reasons to visit Cascais and so many others to stay here!